Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wala Akong Maisip Na Title

Ode to Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash

It’s no secret that the main reason why I joined Aguman was THE Pautakan. Naturally, the moment I was asked to choose which committee I wanted to be a part of, I chose the committee that had the most to do with the prestigious competition: Educ.
More people expected me to be in Records & Pub since I was a writer in high school and my beloved buddy
was the org secretary. But it never came to the point where I had to choose between Educ and Records & Pub, because the moment I learned that Educ was the committee in-charge of Pautakan, I swore (you heard it right, my beloved Orochimaru-sama. I did not just promise, I swore) to dedicate myself to that committee. Halfway through my application I had already been begging Gboi big time to make me a part of his committee. (And early this year I made a deal with Buduy to make sure that I stayed in Educ. ^_^)
And thus, you could imagine what I felt when, during my first semester as a member of Educ, I heard people say a few very unflattering remarks about my committee.
As a member of the committee they were bashing, of course I was hurt. But I have to respect other people’s rights to express their opinions, especially since the claims weren’t exactly baseless. It’s true; our committee was and is still far from perfect. There were a lot of issues we had to contend with, a lot of responsibilities we weren’t able to accomplish, a lot of things we could have done better. There certainly were times when we failed as members of the committee and as members of the organization.
But then again, which committee never screwed up?
I accept that in all our capacity as humans, we make mistakes. But just as we shouldn’t judge a person based solely on his or her mistakes, I think our worth as a committee shouldn’t be judged solely on our screw ups as well. After all, for all that our past mistakes could be worth, there were also responsibilities that we were able to deliver and there were things that we were able to do right. That’s true, too.
It’s my second semester in Educ, and as far as I’ve seen, Gboi and Buduy’s ways of running the committee are as different as Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash. One tries to shoulder as much responsibility as he could, the other tries to get everyone involved. Three things stay the same despite the difference in leadership style. We try to do our duties. There are times when we succeed. There are times when we fail.
I’m not saying that we’re better than other committees or it’s wrong to bash Educ or any other com. What I’m saying is that we AguPips all contribute in making Aguman events great. We all have responsibilities, though there may be times when we’re not able to do all of them. But what’s important is that we work together and we look after each other.
For me, that’s what makes this family great.

*********
The Babes

A lot of times, when I get attached to someone because he or she gives me a lot of attention, I tend to get very annoyed whenever that person gives somebody else the same kind of attention. Someone who used to be a part of my life put it this way: he said I was possessive. Now why did I say ‘used to be a part of my life’? Well, his remark pissed me off so much that I decided to prove to him how easy it would be for me to share him with the whole world. Now he could declare himself as public property, for all I care.
I am not possessive. I just… get annoyed easily.
If there was a person I’d be attached to in this org, it would be my buddy (who happens to be our current President). What could I say? She’s the greatest – she took care of me, was very supportive and protective, she made sure I knew and had what I needed. She cut majors so we could satisfy application requirements, she opened her personal life to me, and she treated me like I was her little sister. And so I suppose you wouldn’t be surprised if I told you that I felt this familiar feeling of annoyance again when she took another buddy this semester.
Sometimes I do feel a bit jealous whenever my Budd does something for my sibling that she didn’t do when I was an app. Like when she said that she was going to print a fact sheet for my sibling for Buddy Que Yan. Heck, we just cheated during that contest. A few members know this and have been teasing me about it, so before things get out of hand, let me tell you what the real deal is.
Fortunately, our situation is a lot better than the other buddies who are now in the buddy-fight of their lives. While I did tell my Budd that I didn’t really want to have a sibling yet, she never promised me anything, and so there are no broken promises here. More importantly, I do know that the relationship I have with my Buddy is not shallow – we won’t grow apart just because of time or distance or other people who may come our way. I guess I can’t help feeling jealous at times because that’s the way I am, but I keep myself in check: I do realize that in this org, we’re all part of one big family and we shouldn’t develop bonds with just a few people, like our buddies. Buddies are there to help you through the application, but when you’re in, it’s like everyone becomes your buddy. Believe me when I say that I’d love to have more people in this family, and if a way to do that is to support my buddy’s taking in another app (Of all people, I’m the one who knows how great she is as a buddy), I’m fine with it.
As for that ‘doing what she didn’t do when I was an app’ thing, I told you, I keep myself in check. If there’s anything that sitting in Math 109 this sem has taught me, it’s being logical. (Ne, Kuya Gboi? J) We learn from our past experiences and we try to do better the next time. My Budd learned that cheating in Buddy Que Yan will not take you anywhere (although we did make it to fourth place) so this time she’s doing it right.
So to Jhennybabes, I love you like a sister and you know it; I get jealous at times but I tell you about it and I never keep it from you. Nothing has changed; you’re still the best, and you’re still my Budd. ^_^ And to Jhonababes… Matdas ka! (Kidding!) Everything’s been explained. Just do things right and I’m sure we’ll get along. ^_^

***********
It’s a Mems Thing

I remember the first comment I wrote in our apps’ logbook when I was an applicant. My buddy wrote some lame joke and I scribbled ‘Haha, funny! Go Budd!’ beside it. The next day, I saw that someone had written a remark about what I wrote.
One word. ‘Duh!’
I wanted to cry. The handwriting was unmistakable; it was Mike’s. How worse can this get, I thought. Mike was a guy I supposedly knew before college and he was even my classmate in a GE subject. He was supposed to be kind to me!
A lot of times when I was an app, I thought that the mems were downright nasty. Many times they laughed at us, they were mean to us, and they took pleasure in playing with us. But now that I am a member and there’s a bunch of apps here, (no offense to Carlo and Demsen, I love you guys, but I just couldn’t feel the app process last sem) I realize that maybe being kind of nasty to apps sometimes is a mems’ thing. You don’t have anything against them and most of them time you’re actually kind to them, but there are just times when you want to see how much the kids would take or how far they are willing to go to be a part of this family.
I laugh at the fact that now that I’m a member, I’m doing the very things I that thought were nasty when I was an app! Kuya Justin shared a funny tactic: when apps greet him, he doesn’t say anything and just looks at them poker-faced. The apps are stricken and quickly go as far as they could away from him. After this, he laughs at what he just did. And big time too. J
Recently, an app made his first comment in their logbook. ‘Apps,’ he wrote (You gotta admire this guy’s fiber. He didn’t even say ‘co-apps’), ‘Eku buring mamasang makaba. Iklian niyo. Sulat kayo lagi’. Before I could even think about what I was doing, I had written an obscenity (in screaming letters too) beside his note. It was followed by the lines ‘Anong ‘apps’'? Baket, feeling mo mem ka na? Feeler!’
Now that’s a hundred times worse than your ‘Duh!’, ne Mike? ^_^

************
ACLE with Kuya Marco and Bong

I know that this column’s already long, but I couldn’t bear to leave this out.
In the middle of ACLE, Kuya Marco, Kuya Bong and I found ourselves together in a table in Casaa, sharing a pack of chips and two plates of tacos. It was by far the most interesting conversation I’ve had with anyone this month: we talked about the four-person debate that was going on in PH 108 as we ate, me joining the other AguPips who’ll rent the house next to Kuya Bong’s and the outrageous Lamborghini Reventon. I don’t know how we arrived at the weird subject, but near the end, these two guys ended up trying to explain to me why they thought some men masturbate. They gave an informally academic explanation, mind you.
After their explanation, we decided to leave and were on our way back to 108 when Kuya Bong blurted out, “Di ba pag kumain ka ng kamatis may red-red sa tae mo?”
I looked at him in amusement. “Ows?”
Kuya Marco was unimpressed. “Pati din naman pag kumain ka ng pakwan.”
Sigh. Alternative Classroom Learning Experience indeed. The things you learn only from your orgmates.

***********
Domo Arigatou

Rex-sama, domo arigatou for you-know-what. ^_^


Read previous posts from "Undefined"
Prosaic
Read previous posts from Nic Nicdao
I Called Kuya Wex a Pig

UP Aguman on Facebook

UP AGUMAN

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

EXECUTIVE COUNCIL 2009-2010

  • President:
  • KEVIN PENALBA
  • Internals Vice-President:
  • TRISH NACPIL
  • Externals Vice-President:
  • ARIES VIRAY
  • Secretary:
  • MICHAEL GULAPA
  • Treasurer:
  • BRYAN QUIZON
  • Educational Committee Chairperson:
  • RUTH HENSON
  • Socio-Cultural Committee Chairperson:
  • MINSKY GOCE
Powered By Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google PageRank Checker Tool

AguPIPS on Multiply