Monday, August 4, 2008

Incoherence and Randomness

Therapy. Writing can be a consistent buddy when inconsistent emotions drop by. It can also be a constant reliever of boredom and lack of attention. I guess that is why it is never unusual that I scribble thoughts on yellow paper while pretending I’m listening to the lecture or I type away words on a blank document while having my fifteen minute or so break from reading about enzymes and nucleic acids. But mind you, I write even if I am no writer. Yes, you heard it write, uhm, right. I never had the penchant for sharing my feelings, ideas, and other stuff through writing. But people had wrongly stereotyped me as a “writer” because of my college degree. (Yes, I can finally say this! College degree!) Call it pressure! Well, I can present to you confidently my countless academic papers, but again, not my mediocre writing. *Insert Jean with IC here* I write for the sole reason (ok, one of the reasons) that writing can be therapeutic.

Connection. A few weeks back, Kuya Wexie sent a message asking if I am interested to “own” a column on Aslag Online. I purposely chose not to reply right away, because, as always, my thoughts are bickering inside my head. But I know that I don’t want to lose contact with my beloved Aguman and AguPips. And AOL, just like Friendster and Multiply, is my virtual connection with this family. So after 24 hours, I texted Kuya Wexie and inquired if the “offer” is still open. Hola, open pa! So there, I committed to submit a monthly article. Aside from painstakingly squeezing the creative juices in my cerebellum on a monthly basis, I will try my best to keep my deadlines. And that starts after this article! Late na kasi ito. *embarrassed smile* There, I write because writing can maintain relationships and connections.

Title. Prior to inquiring about the availability, I already have a title for my column! *laughter* Yes, Quack! Well, the master pointed out that I might appear fraudulent as the word suggests. But come to think of it, I am a “fake”. I don’t have the genuine talent for writing and I am yet to develop a fit strategy for a medical student. That is why, if only I can command people, I prefer not to be labeled a writer nor a doctor because I am not. I am still a work in progress!!! To add, “quack” was the first idea that entered my mind and it never left. I remember the time when I was thinking of a name for Happy, our toy poodle. The whole family was brainstorming with various pet names but I stood by my first pick, which is Happy, and I eliminated all the other suggestions. *grins* Besides, “quack” caught your attention, right? *tawa hanggang tenga*

First Lesson. Revert your thoughts to a more serious matter. The Cell. Bow. We all know that the cell is the basic unit of life. And in order for the cell (and the organism) to survive, various materials go in and out of the cell and several processes occur amazingly inside this microscopic thingy. (I don’t like Histology, by the way.) Moving on, the cell is enveloped and protected by none other than the cellular membrane. Now, I think you know that the most important characteristic of the cell membrane is its semi-permeability. This suggests that the cell is selective with the substances that it permits to enter and to exit. So what is the point I am trying to make? Throughout our life, people come and go and most of the time, we decide who to keep and who to let go. But then, there are those hardheaded ones who will try so hard to break the barrier in order to penetrate your quiet life (think bacteria and viruses!). Then, there are those who will leave without prior notice. And there are those who freely float inside your circle of life (how lucky they can get!). But then again, all people we encounter, even for just a millisecond, leave a spot on our canvass. They add color, bright or dark, to our changing portraits, just like the substances that nourish or degrade the cell. As the cell is adaptive to change, we are too. And as the cliché goes, change is inevitable. It is just the way of life, otherwise, we are probably dead right now.

So my dear, the time will come that you have to say goodbye to your current life. You have to bid farewell to UP, too, as I scarily did just two months ago. You will worry that the people you’ve come to love and treat as brothers and sisters will be gone too, but remember, you have the choice to keep the people you want in your life. But it will never be the same again. Besides, you still have endless memories to treasure (hello, pictures!). So, be not afraid of change. It will come.

Welcome to my new life! =)

UP Aguman on Facebook

UP AGUMAN

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

EXECUTIVE COUNCIL 2009-2010

  • President:
  • KEVIN PENALBA
  • Internals Vice-President:
  • TRISH NACPIL
  • Externals Vice-President:
  • ARIES VIRAY
  • Secretary:
  • MICHAEL GULAPA
  • Treasurer:
  • BRYAN QUIZON
  • Educational Committee Chairperson:
  • RUTH HENSON
  • Socio-Cultural Committee Chairperson:
  • MINSKY GOCE
Powered By Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google PageRank Checker Tool

AguPIPS on Multiply