Sunday, April 22, 2007

Confessions of a Fincomm Head

By Cyrille Bautista

ZERO! A FAILING GRADE FOR FINCOMM! Getting just a passing grade in 114.1 is as miserable as having a failing mark for all the so-called efforts of the Finance Committee. Who could be that someone who gave us, the Finance Committee, a mark as low as zero? I guess he or she has convincing reasons for that score. Nevertheless, from my point of view, it is a very selfish act. I could have accepted a 1.

Last semester was really a one heck of a semester. I became a student who had no interaction to the outside world. So maybe it was my fault why Fincomm’s performance and visibility were graded as very poor.

What noticeable action did Fincomm do last semester? We had relatively decreased the average collection period for the reaffirmation fees. We managed our limited resources, our cash, and dispensed it to the expenses of CEER and Pautakan. We gradually paid our debts to the alumni and other members.

However, this semester is quite different. Aside from the fact that I have given up my course, the committee made some changes within. We have standardized our sponsorship proposals. We have set our individual quotas for acquiring funds for Sining 2007. Although the forecasted expenses exceeded the actual expenses incurred during the said event, the finance committee, together with my co-officers (and Marco who temporarily lent us his cash), were able to manage the discrepancies. We were able to open a savings account for the organization. This semester, we also launched the 'Babarug Pipitik II: The Spanking Hot Edition' which became a venue not only of generating ample profits but also of building bonds among members.

In short, we really did not have any major event or fund raising activity to brag about. However, little do members know that being a fin com member or fin com head is such a tough job. Our work is not just a
one time big time task that is assigned to us to be accomplished within a short span of time and within the time frame of an Aguman event. It is a multi-faceted job that requires dedication and passion. It requires patience and determination to attain our goal that is to provide money for the realization of the projects of UP Aguman. Truly, it is hard to market our org and our org activities. But it is the challenge we boldly accepted.

On a lighter note, after all the kakeseran (keser- kailangang seryosohin) or the mushy ideas I’ve imparted, being a Fincomm Head is not only about dealing with money but also about going through the whole process and experiencing how it is to be a treasurer. (Although, I’ve wished hard that our consti should have been amended as soon as I’ve taken the position so I could have a title of VP for Finance which sounds more impressive. Right?) There are a lot of benefits. I get to sign twice on the sigsheets of apps which I think is fun. I get to hold a sum of money (to hold and not spend on personal needs!). I get to see the various sides of my co-officers (when they get too serious, when they worry too much, when they ask for money, when they address some org issues and a lot more) and witness those different looks. I get to compel my members to do these Fincomm tasks. I get the impression of being a rich girl (although I am not!J). I have a position and I have something to write on my resume. I get to go through one enriching experience.

Anomalies. Irregularities. Inconsistencies. Abnormalities. In this kind of work, these all happen when it comes to making the receipts and disbursements equal. All these will happen when I do not act the way I should and do not perform my duties. Trying to fulfill the expectations is hard. But I guess it is just a matter of how you play the game. At the end of the day, it is not about what others think but more importantly about what you have contributed and learned.

UP Aguman on Facebook

UP AGUMAN

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

EXECUTIVE COUNCIL 2009-2010

  • President:
  • KEVIN PENALBA
  • Internals Vice-President:
  • TRISH NACPIL
  • Externals Vice-President:
  • ARIES VIRAY
  • Secretary:
  • MICHAEL GULAPA
  • Treasurer:
  • BRYAN QUIZON
  • Educational Committee Chairperson:
  • RUTH HENSON
  • Socio-Cultural Committee Chairperson:
  • MINSKY GOCE
Powered By Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google PageRank Checker Tool

AguPIPS on Multiply