Monday, April 23, 2007

Memoirs of an Aguman Member

By Lea Wynetta Dizon (Palumpon 1996B)

(Editor's note: The following article was written by an alumna, Lea Dizon. We don't really know when she wrote this, but she shared this last year in the alumni egroups, saying that she 'wrote this years ago and just chanced upon it while going through old computer files'. Nevertheless, enjoy this piece. It's a lengthy read, but it'll be worth it!)

It's funny how things just work out the way they do. One day you're in highschool nervously watching a quiz show, that will establish the status of your school in your province, then the next thing you know you're sharing a bed with a woman, and before you realize what's happening, you're president of an organization and having the time of your life.

At the dawn of the 20th century, amid all the hulabaloo as to who should be the next Collegian EIC, when the Eraserheads were still sizzling hot, Alanis Morisette was the latest craze, and the IKOT fare was still at P1.25, I became a wide-eyed freshman of the University of the Philippines in Diliman. I’ve never felt so proud. Vividly, I remember the last words my Physics teacher left us right before leaving for college, "Ala kung buring daramdaman na makyabeng Aguman kekayu. Mangayabang la reta," he said. I non-commitally shrugged my shoulders, pursed my lips, and blinked continously. I don't know exactly what I was trying to convey, but I knew for certain that I couldn't say yes. I didn't want to be disagreeable since we were parting ways, but I also didn't want to lie. So I did whatever I could, whatever that was. Ha! Little did my teacher know was that I was secretly thinking of tracking these “mayabang” people down, as soon as I set foot on UP soil.

Luckily, I didn't have to do much. My bedmate, Weng, the girl who sleeps below my double deck bed, became a member of batch Diquit-diquit. The semester that followed, everything happened so fast. First I became one of around seven that were ushered into the tambayan as batch “Palumpun,” (as in bouquet of flowers. Don’t ask. It wasn’t my idea. I’ve never used, never heard even, of that word before)--much to the stoic (snotty even) looks of the members, six who rehearsed a day before our apps night at the amphitheater, five who actually performed (while being warned by Yoj Liwanag that since we were flowers we shall wilt in no time), and four who continued through the whole semester. Twice we prepared for our finals, but twice it was cancelled. The sem was finished, still we remained applicants. The third time worked like a charm. At the start of the new sem, I found myself somewhere in Lubao, in all my trashable long-sleeved glory doing the Macarena steps (without the music) under the sweltering heat of the sun. Yes I blind(folded)ly crawled my way, literally, into UP Aguman. I became one of the two members of batch 96.5, the smallest batch to have entered the organization.

When you’re young, active and new, the senior members easily take to you. Maybe it’s the mystery of new blood. Who knows? I learned that in most orgs there was always someone, usually a female (probably because of her maternal instincts), who acts as some sort of matriarch. She takes it upon herself to take the rookies under her wing and teach them the ways of the org. In those days I had Kay Peña and then Tinee Macatuno. From them I learned passion and commitment. When they graduated, I was already a college junior and the president. By that time it became second nature to assume the role of what I would call the alpha female.

Immersed in the Aguman subculture, I soon learned why as an applicant I was once advised by a senior member not to be disillusioned. The life of a member was not as simple as seen from the auditorium of Holy Family Academy, where the Pautakan was held back in 1995. There the members all seemed playful and relaxed. All they did was exchange witty repartees while others waved signs in the air ranging from a subtle “manahimik,” to a more compelling “patugut,” creatively scribbled on manila paper in an attempt to shush the spectators, much to their utter amusement. What I didn’t know was that, behind the scenes, there was so much work that had to be accomplished (although there was also so much fun), squabbles that were resolved (and some remaining unsettled but chosen to be ignored), and people to constantly egg on just to get a project done. What people didn’t see is that it wasn't just about having fun (although it matters a lot) and being cute (even if most were—wahaha!); that there were times where you had to get used to feeling exasperated with members who just can’t seem to get that fact. In many cases, all you can do is accept that in most probability, you're lucky if you got 30 percent of the membership to do actual work, since the other 65 percent would be showing up only during the event itself, while the other five percent did get disillusioned that they decided never to make their presence apparent ever again.

Be that as it may, the bright side was that UP Aguman was a training ground for the life that was to come after college. All those sleepless nights of rushing the questions and arranging the PAUTAKAN, and the arguments as to where SINING should be held or whether or not we should push through with the CEER, all prepared me for my future life in media. UP Aguman was a simulation of how the real world would eventually unfold in terms of dealing with different people, having passion and work ethics, handling pressure, achieving multi-tasking skills, knowing your priorities and developing wonderful time-management capabilities.

Despite the fact that Aguman members shared the Capampangan spirit that essentially binds them, I’m certain that even during its founding, the Aguman members still differed in numerous ways that it is quite easy to classify them into types, types that were evident when I was a resident of the org and I’m sure will still be present in generations to come. I don’t mean to stereotype, but from my experience people take on different roles given a particular group, and Aguman is not spared of this reality. Apart from the "MATRIARCHs" or "PATRIARCHs" that I've mentioned, during my time, present were the “OAs,” who took the org seriously—a little too much. In fact they often forget to have fun. Hence, the title OA (over acting). The "BIDAs" were always the center of attention. They had an effortless air of authority that the other members acknowledged. They were smart and always knew what they were talking about. The BIDAs always walked their talked, which the "PA-BIDAs," sometimes fail to do. The "PA-BIDAs" try too hard to be in the middle of all the action. Sometimes in their effort to become "BIDAs" they end up becoming “KONTRABIDAs” instead. The KONTRABIDAs are the painfully argumentative ones. They enjoy playing devil's advocate, often objecting to everything, that sometimes they seem to be deliberately doing it just to be contrary.

No org is complete without the “LAGU-LAGUs,” the pretty ones who everyone (especially the boys) wants to get to know; they serve as the org's muse(s). Next are the “PA-CUTEs,” the usually funny ones, who in actuality may or may not be cute. However they do think they are cute enough to get away with anything by making joking remarks or by sweet-talking their way out of work, neglecting their assignments and other sticky situations. The “NRs” (no reaction) are the ones who couldn't care less what was happening to the org so long as they could make "tambay" with the other members. The “NEUTRALs” are the ones who refuse to take any stand in any issue. Their main aspiration in life is to maintain the peace in the org. The “YESLANGs,” do precisely that. "Yes lang nang yes." They are so cooperative that you only have to give them assignments and they just do it. Then there are the "NO SHOWs." The NO SHOWs can further be classified into three subtypes. First are the ones who do not show up during meetings or when there is work, but who do show up during the actual event. Second are the ones who only show up whenever they feel like it; now you see them, now you don't. And last are the ones who stopped showing up altogether. I suppose they were the ones who did get disillusioned. Sometimes a member can fall into a particular type but for the most part he or she is a combination of two or more. I for one was a blend of a "MATRIARCH," an "OA," and a "KONTRABIDA." Although I must admit that I was a frustrated "LAGU-LAGU," unfortunately it was only my dad who saw my potential. Oh and I was also the "TERROR" (no need for further elaboration) of my generation. Two years after I've left I still get invited to the finals just to make the applicants' hearts palpitate a little--not that I'm proud of it. It's just an interesting state to be in. For one, I never knew why they were afraid of me. I was stern, yes. Sometimes I get a little louder than usual. But I never screamed and I never cussed. One time a batch head quit after I've had a talk with her! Maybe I had high expectations for the new blood that would sustain the org. Was it so bad to want passion, commitment, and dedication? Was it so awful to expect non-mediocrity? Was it so unacceptable to restrict the applicants from sitting on the picnic table (that got lost and replaced three times during my whole stay in UP. Now the tambayan safely houses the latest table, securely chained and locked to its coco lumber pillars. Why someone would steal a table is beyond me.) until they were members just so they would know their place in the org, something which I hoped for them to work hard for and eventually earn? (I did mention I was OA right?)

The way I see it, Aguman was not by any means a perfect organization (if there was ever such a thing). I think it is its very imperfections that gave it its distinct character. True, familiarity may have bred some contempt for some, but it is also this same familiarity that makes UP Aguman a solace, a comfort zone, a place where you can be yourself with people who understood you. While there were times when I cried during the genmeets out of sheer frustration, it was an org that was home to me whenever I needed one. Particularly when I was just starting out in UP: a feisty yet naive promdi struggling it out in the big bad city. I remember moments when I had to drag myself out of the tambayan to attend class. It was just so comforting to sit there and stare into space. "May opyo ang tambayan," that's what I always thought because once you've sat down in it, you find yourself too lethargic to get out.

I could never think of college without thinking of UP Aguman. It was definitive of my life then. I remember meeting up with the other members at the tambayan for lunch, which then meant buying takeout plastic-covered "nasi ampong ulam" from CASAA (read: Gloria's), placed in those halved styropore containers, and walking together to the tambayan where lunch was had while gossiping about each other's love lives (or lack thereof), and ranting about unreasonable professors who thought it their calling to make our lives on earth as miserable as possible. After a gruelling registration session, it is in the tambayan where people came to vent out steam and to compare notes on their progress.

The tambayan saw not only the planning of Aguman's major projects but also of the members' many gimiks. Of course gimiks then meant a movie (Jerry Maguire, The Matrix, Austin Powers, Armageddon, Titanic, My Best Friend's Wedding, A Bug's Life, Romy and Michelle's Highschool Reunion, Ten Things I Hate About You, She' All That, There's Something About Mary, Rizal etc.) at SM north right after dinner at Tokyo-Tokyo or Wendy's. Sometimes the UP Film Center was enough to see us through a flick. The movies may not be up-to-date but 20 pesos in a clean and air-conditioned movie house was not a bad deal at all. Extra money bought us a movie's premiere night at Megamall (You've Got Mail), coffee at Beanhoppers in Katipunan (there still weren't any Starbucks nearby), and concerts at the Sunken Garden, UP Theater, or somewhere in Pampanga (Side A or Regine).

The tambayan was also witness to many a courtships, secret meetings, and exchange of cryptic messages between Agumen and women; romances that blossomed out of proximity or absolute chemistry, most of which now have unfortunately soured. Some amours however, are not as lucky to have reached their maximum potential. These loves remained unrequited, and left untouched in the far recesses of one's mind. Joey Montoya of batch 97, was a “crush ng bayan.” His affectionate ways and gentleness, had almost all the girls swooning. There wasn't a girl I knew who, at one point or another, didn't have even the slightest crush on him--myself included. But I was at an advantage because he was my "ka-loveteam." We would call each other "labs" and role play like we were boyfriend and girlfriend. That was fun, but of course he went on to have a real girlfriend (non-Aguman), and the game was over.

What I miss most about Aguman is the friendship that developed over time. We may have had heavy arguments mainly out of conflict in opinions, mostly on how projects should be realized or on how the application should be administered. Particularly since the anti-hazing bill brought about by several deaths during fraternity initiations, was passed. Put together a bevy of smart, outspoken students with opposing convictions in an arena called a genmeet and what you get is an intense, if not heated, discussion, that sometimes leaves everyone exhausted. But at the end of the day you are secure in the fact that inspite of all the fights you have, these are still the people you can always run to for support, that after that, it is they whom you will be sharing a meal with at Ken Afford in Katipunan or at Mc Donald's in Philcoa.

I miss having "delata" dinners with the Penthouse boys, Bondi, Eric, and Joey at their Katipunan apartment. They, whom with their rice cooker-heated canned Spam and canned tuna, never failed to invite neighboring Agu people (ahem!) over to share their quaint dinner. I miss the few bonding sessions at the Sunken Garden. I miss the fund raising activities (although I wouldn't mind not having to go through them again) that we always resorted to because we were always in financial need. We ran (as in around the academic oval) for money (especially after the grand alumni homecoming to celebrate our 25th anniversary, which left us high and dry), we sold 99-centavo tickets and raffled off cakes and Cds. And of course we solicited, solicited, and solicited some more! Once the org sponsored the showing of the movie Maruja (the Susan Roces version, not the Carmona-Rustom starrer) at the UP Film Center. What people expected to be a nostalgic romantic movie turned out to be quasi-horror film. It was comical. The org broke even thanks to the professors who required their students to watch it.

I miss the log book which was always nowhere to be found. And most of all I miss our trip to Baguio. I often said "Baguio is always a good idea." Our trip to the summer capital in 1998 was the single most healing event in our Aguman life. It was then that I felt how much these people meant to me, and how immensely I enjoyed being with them.

No matter how heavy we felt towards each other we knew that we were going to be okay because we shared a certain kinship. Indeed it became our way of life. It was a truth that was enough to remind us of the bond we shared, of the common mission of service we should fulfill. We knew we could sail through rough waters because it was something that we understood was far more important than any tumultous disgreement we can ever have.

Somewhere in the middle of my life in UP the peso suddenly dropped from P26 to P47 to a dollar, Erap became president, the Ikot fare became P3.75, Nino Calinao was shot, the hazing bill was passed, the fraternities were evicted from the AS lobby, Nemenzo became president, and security guards started checking the students’ bags as they enter the buildings for dangerous weapons and bombs. And then suddenly it was over. I graduated. I graduated into the real world, where the arguments are real and the responsibilities are more real. I remember wishing to be done with college when I was still in college. Now that I am, I realize that one should really be careful with what one wishes because it just might come true.

I miss UP and I miss UP Aguman, it sure was fun while it lasted.

UP Aguman on Facebook

UP AGUMAN

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

EXECUTIVE COUNCIL 2009-2010

  • President:
  • KEVIN PENALBA
  • Internals Vice-President:
  • TRISH NACPIL
  • Externals Vice-President:
  • ARIES VIRAY
  • Secretary:
  • MICHAEL GULAPA
  • Treasurer:
  • BRYAN QUIZON
  • Educational Committee Chairperson:
  • RUTH HENSON
  • Socio-Cultural Committee Chairperson:
  • MINSKY GOCE
Powered By Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google PageRank Checker Tool

AguPIPS on Multiply