Saturday, April 21, 2007

How To Be A Good President

By Celine Dagdag

It has been days since the time when I decided to write this piece. Two hours later, Daphne compelled me to write the same piece. This is supposed to be a parting piece for me as President. Anyhow, I have decided to write my own "how-to" list (yeah, from How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days). This time it is entitled, “How To Be A Good President”. Needless to say, I have learned all of these things the hard way. If I could turn back time, I would have done some things differently. Anyhow, as I have been mentioning quite so often nowadays, “What’s done is done”. Oh well, I hope you learn something, especially if you are secretly aspiring to become President someday.

Bite your tongue. Seriously, though it is my personal flaw to be blunt, sometimes, it is critical to learn how to shut your mouth. For one, if one is talking to a person outside the organization, one has to choose his words carefully (SINING anyone?). In official organization businesses, one does not just speak for himself but for the whole organization as well. It is on these instances that cursing and all other foul words becomes sacrilege for a President. There are a lot of people in UP who can speak so much about so many things, but only few know when to shut up. Be one of them.

Never be late. As President, one must always be on time. It stems from the responsibility of a President to be a model to all members. Being late is considered a curse of the Agupips. How I wish to see the day when it becomes a myth.

Learn to juggle. Remember your final interview? I still remember mine. Of course, just like the rest of us, I was asked about my priorities. I really can’t remember what the order of importance of my priorities was but I remember placing God above everything else on the list. Of course, reality bites. I think in my case, they all did happen. Really. There are times when everything happens all at the same time and you have to choose which ones to give your attention to. I am not a hypocrite to say that as president I placed the organization on top of my priority list at all possible moments. In cases like these, one just has to really know what decisions would be more critical. Thesis or final interview? Anniversary or Christmas party? One in 10 Years family reunion or CEER? Of course there is a difference, no matter how we deny it, if you are the president making all of these decisions and if you are a “regular member”. The stakes are higher for a president. It is important in this case that the members themselves are understanding. After all as president, you can only do and give so much. And it is also quite unfair to ask a president to just stop living his life for the organization. Key word: balance.

Accept the reality that you are only human. Being President, his mistakes are crucial. But being human, they are also inevitable. One has to forgive oneself of these “Siyet, megkamali ku moments”. But sometimes, mistakes are so big that damage control would only be the only answer to the problem. But bear in mind that mistakes are just not meant to be repeated.

Walang personalan, trabahao lang. As I have mentioned in one of my speeches, the organization is a family composed of different individuals with different characteristics and attitudes. And like in any other family, petty or full – blown quarrels mixed w/ sama ng loob are unavoidable. As president one is still part of the family, heck, one is so not exempted from these quarrels. To quote Kuya Ryan, “Respetu mu”. Sometimes, no matter the effort one just don’t jell with some people, it is on these moments that one has to be professional and not let the personal “thingies” get in the way of the tasks. And, personal fights, are that, personal. They must be settled outside of the org.

911!! Yes. It is not a sin to ask for help. When one is swamped with so much to do, it is not disgraceful to unload some of the duties to other officers or members. Also, dial the same number if one is in need of advice from the alumni or the elder mems.

Commend in public, scold in silence. Praising should really be done in public, it is the most apt thing to do when commending someone. Reprimanding someone should ideally be done in private.

Love thy position. Being president is intoxicating at times. But one must always remember this famous line from Spiderman, “With great power comes great responsibility”. Responsibilities become less of a nuisance when one loves what he does. Love it. After all, it is not everyday that one is chosen to lead.

I am gonna miss being the President. I am gonna miss the organization. Last words, "Isang malaking good luck!"

UP Aguman on Facebook

UP AGUMAN

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

EXECUTIVE COUNCIL 2009-2010

  • President:
  • KEVIN PENALBA
  • Internals Vice-President:
  • TRISH NACPIL
  • Externals Vice-President:
  • ARIES VIRAY
  • Secretary:
  • MICHAEL GULAPA
  • Treasurer:
  • BRYAN QUIZON
  • Educational Committee Chairperson:
  • RUTH HENSON
  • Socio-Cultural Committee Chairperson:
  • MINSKY GOCE
Powered By Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google PageRank Checker Tool

AguPIPS on Multiply