Sunday, July 13, 2008

From the Deepest Recesses of my Thoughts

I really don’t know how to begin this. Perhaps I should first welcome you to my column! Really, I am a novice when it comes to things like this. Though I’ve had experiences of having my articles published in our elementary newsletter (God! Could you imagine how long ago that was!), I never had the privilege of having a column all to myself. I love to write because of the fact that it helps me keep sane. I am really not exceptional in this ‘field’. I commonly write for just myself. Though I used to have a blog in Friendster with a few entries, the last time I updated it was eons ago. So when Kuya Rex introduced the idea of us having our own columns in Aslag Online, I honestly got excited and scared at the same time. I am excited because I now have the chance of sharing my thoughts to more people. Scared because I have to do this on a regular basis, not just according to my whim and I have to write on a specific theme. But I guess this novel experience would perhaps be great and fun-filled for me. So, I invite you guys to indulge as I share to you my musings about school, love, politics, culture, life and anything under the sun! Feel free to comment back, rant and rave as much as you want! I would really appreciate what you have to say. =)

The Struggle

The initial hurdle I had to pass was to think of a title for this column. It should be something catchy or intriguing enough and of course it should perfectly encapsulate the theme that I want. "More Than Meets The Eye". Why this title? Well, most of you have probably recognized this theme from the movie, Transformers. This is I think one of the best loved movies of the AguPips. Personally, I am really not a fan of this movie. I have actually just watched this a few weeks ago and perhaps due to recency effect, this line from the movie popped-out of mind when Kuya Rex asked me to think of a title. This title seemed perfectly apt to what my column would contain.

Maling Akala

"Maraming namamatay sa maling akala.” This line I think is the most used-up salawikain of Filipinos but we still succumb to this common mistake of being judgmental. To be prejudicial I think is an innate characteristic of people. Even at first glance, we easily place people in mental boxes and categorize them according to how we initially perceive them. In Transformers, the Autobots perceived humans as a harmful and violent race but they later on learned that they were wrong. I’ve had my fair share of judging and being judged hastily and I usually end up being proven and proving other people wrong. There are also times when we fail to look at things closely because we think they are shallow but once we bother to take a second look, we realize that we are mistaken. This is generally what my column would be about. I would talk about things that at first seem mundane but are really significant. I would be sharing to you things that I have been keeping in the deepest recesses of my thoughts. My musings about the underlying significance of things that we think are just insignificant parts of our everyday lives. I would also be writing about my personal experiences of assuming things and discovering that they were really otherwise. I really hope I could think of interesting things that would suffice your need for reading pleasure and make you hooked-up and wanting for more. Stick with me as we take a closer look on things and discover that they are more than meets the eye.

UP Aguman on Facebook

UP AGUMAN

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

EXECUTIVE COUNCIL 2009-2010

  • President:
  • KEVIN PENALBA
  • Internals Vice-President:
  • TRISH NACPIL
  • Externals Vice-President:
  • ARIES VIRAY
  • Secretary:
  • MICHAEL GULAPA
  • Treasurer:
  • BRYAN QUIZON
  • Educational Committee Chairperson:
  • RUTH HENSON
  • Socio-Cultural Committee Chairperson:
  • MINSKY GOCE
Powered By Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google PageRank Checker Tool

AguPIPS on Multiply