Saturday, February 28, 2009

List of Great Happy Love Songs

Given its form, music is an art that is able to touch people in ways like no other. A riff or two, synchronized with sincere lyrics, can easily evoke certain feelings in the deepest recesses of our minds.


So, speaking of feelings, we all know that “love” is the most highlighted feeling whenever our calendars flip for February. So for this month’s column, I am sharing my list of favourite love songs.

Love is hands down the most talked about feeling given its universal nature. The thing is, love has its many facets – it can be a positive thing when it makes you happy and a negative thing when it instead makes you miserable.

So I’ve broken down my list into two parts: one for happy, feel-good love songs and another for sad, bitter melodies, hehe!

So for the past month, I’ve been browsing my music drive in search for my favourite love songs. Browsing through 5,500+ songs is no easy feat. It actually felt like being a judge for American Idol, haha! Making the shortlist of songs felt like the auditions. Classifying the songs felt like the Hollywood Rounds. And finally choosing which song goes into the list was like the “Final Judgement”, haha! In the end, I had to choose the songs that were most meaningful and had the best feel-good-about-love melodies.

Sophie B. Hawkins – As I Lay Me Down

Released: 1995
Though I'm far away
I'll whisper your name into the sky
And I will wake up happy

Michelle Branch – Breathe

Released: 2003
If I just breathe
Let it fill the space between
I'll know everything is alright
Given its upbeat melody, it hardly feels like your typical love song. But then again, its soaring chorus just gives me a certain high, quite very similar to the kind of high that love can bring. It’s no surprise that this song has been featured in many romantic movies.

Colbie Caillat – Bubbly
Released: 2007
Cause every time I see your bubbly face,
I get the tingles in a silly place
Its melodic acoustic arrangements set the tone right for love and romance, doesn’t it?

Mandy Moore – It’s Gonna Be Love
Released: 2002
The sooner you let two hearts beat together
The sooner you'll know this love is forever
(It's gonna be love)
Love needs time now or never
(It's gonna be love) It's gonna be tough
You gotta believe, it's gonna be strong enough

Leigh Nash – Need To Be Next To You

Released: 2000
I need to know I can see you smile each morning
Look into your eyes each night for the rest of my life
Here with you, near with you, oh I need to be next to you

Rosie Thomas – Since You’ve Been Around
Released: Unknown. I first heard this though from an episode of Grey’s Anatomy and of Ghost Whisperer
I’m foolish and crazy
I just think that maybe I gotta things to figure out
I’m winning, I’m losing
I’m afraid of never choosing this heart of mine, so beaten down
Before you came around
I know that the lyrics don’t really readily tell you the kind of good love one feels. But if you listen to the whole song, it’s basically about unexpected but wonderful changes in one’s life brought about by another person.

Emma Bunton – Take My Breathe Away
Released: 2001
I never thought I'd feel the way I'm feeling lately
When everything you seem to do just drives me crazy

Natalie ft Justin Roman – Where Are You

Released: 2005
There is someone out there for me (I know there is somebody out there)
I know she is waiting so patiently (yeah) can you tell me her name? (Somebody tell me her name)
This life-long search is gonna drive me insane

Hoku – You First Believed
Released: 2000
It was you who first believed
In all that I was made to be
It was you looking in my eyes
You held my hand
And showed me life
And I've never been the same
Since you first believed

John Mayer – Your Body Is A Wonderland
Released: 2002
You tell me where to go and,
Though I might leave to find it,
I'll never let your head hit the bed,
Without my hand behind it
The whole song is pretty much sexual overtones all over it, haha! But then again, it just depends in your imagination.

And now, for the songs that aren’t just melodically great, but also have words that truly capture a clearer image of the very confusing euphoric state that is love.

Mariah Carey – Always Be My Baby
Released: 1996
And we’ll linger on
Time can’t erase a feeling this strong
No way you’re never gonna shake me
Ooh darling, ‘cause you’ll always be my baby
The song actually chronicles a love that has ended, but I just like the way how one’s great hope for that love can remain fueled by a love that is so strong.

Rascal Flatts – Bless The Broken Road
Released: 2005
Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
It’s totally my anthem, haha! Well, I haven’t exactly found my “the one” yet. But the thing is, don’t for her in misery precisely because this much I know is true, that God will bless the broken the road that will lead me straight to her.

Edwin McCain – I Couldn’t Ask For More
Released: 1999
Every breath has been answered
Every dream that has come through.
Yeah, right here in this moment
It's that we're all meant to be.
Oh here with you, here with me.

Daniel Bedingfield – If You’re Not The One

Released: 2002
If you’re not the one then why does my soul feel glad today?
If you’re not the one then why does my hand fit yours this way?
Remember how in Chem 16, there’s this qualitative analysis experiment wherein we perform many tests to determine the presence of certain ions? Well, this song could well as be “the test” for the presence of love, hehe!

Michael Ruff – More Than You’ll Ever Know
Released: 1993
Take my hand
We’ll walk awhile, we’ll talk awhile
Feel my love, always there beside you

Stephen Speaks – Passenger Seat

Released: 2003
And I've got all that I need
Right here in the passenger seat
Oh and I can't keep my eyes on the road
Knowing that she's inches from me Wouldn't it be really romantic if you'd turn this up just as you drive your girl home after a wonderful date? Hehe! Cheesy much? Well, not when you're truly in love, hehe! It's like a license to be baduy.

Karla Bonoff – Standing Right Next To Me
Released: 1994
Beneath the moon tonight
I see it in your eyes -
No more false starts,
No more broken hearts.
I used to have a wish
One day I'd feel like this.
Now I know love exists
Cause it's standing right next to me.

Ronan Keating – The Way You Make Me Feel

Released: 2000
I couldn’t feel much better
Than when I’m here with you
You make everything seem so easy
I’m telling you the truth
You never try to please me
But somehow...you always do

Ryan Cabrera – True

Released: 2004
I've waited all my life
To cross this line
To the only thing that’s true
So I will not hide
Its time to try
Anything to be with you
All my life I've waited
This is true

Shawn Colvin – When You Know
Released: 2001
When you know that you know who you love, you can't deny it.
Or go back, or give up, or pretend that you don't buy it.
When it's clear this time you've found the one, you'll never let him go
Cos you know and you know that you know.
If you're into the whole serendipity thing when it comes to meeting the love of your life, then this song is definitely for you. Aptly so, it was featured in the motion picture soundtrack of the movie Serendipity.

COMING SOON: Part 2: Bitter Ocampo love songs, hehe!

To listen to 18 of these songs (the other two were not available), click here.

UP Aguman on Facebook

UP AGUMAN

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

EXECUTIVE COUNCIL 2009-2010

  • President:
  • KEVIN PENALBA
  • Internals Vice-President:
  • TRISH NACPIL
  • Externals Vice-President:
  • ARIES VIRAY
  • Secretary:
  • MICHAEL GULAPA
  • Treasurer:
  • BRYAN QUIZON
  • Educational Committee Chairperson:
  • RUTH HENSON
  • Socio-Cultural Committee Chairperson:
  • MINSKY GOCE
Powered By Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google PageRank Checker Tool

AguPIPS on Multiply