Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Talkback: Stewardship Program / Leadership Training Seminar

Compiled by pekepate & jrldizon

Last October 8, 2008, the UP Aguman residents and applicants went to Makati and attended a whole day leadership training seminar, courtesy of the UP Aguman Alumni. For more informations, see article below.

AguPips attend Stewardship Program

For the Talkback, aside from the general comments and/or feedbacks, the residents and applicants where given three guide questions:
*What was the best lesson you learned from the seminar?
*What was your favorite exercise and why?
*What were you able to realize about yourself?

*Duplicate yourself as a leader through mentoring. It is when you start mentoring that you stop leading because as a leader you need not to be indispensible that is when you’re no longer around the organization will crumble. Instead mentor them that when you are gone, your teachings, beliefs, tenets are still regarded and executed long before you’re gone.
*The first exercise, from there I was able to realize a lot of things about the members, their insights, their beliefs, the virtues they uphold because you already know where they’re coming from, their familial background.
*I was enlightened during the seminar about my being first-born has something to do with how I do things hehe. At some points, the way I lead this organization and my co-officers patented with how I was raised and how I am, as an Ate to my younger siblings.
*Apparently, not all members and applicants who have confirmed prior to the activity showed up and at some point, irritated me (loko, hehe, o kaya reng aliwa rugu magsabi lamu kung ali mu la pa kutnangan. Sana mu patse makanita, ikayu na ing mismong magsabi ne?). However, I (we) understand, I (we) know that during these weeks in which academic demands are high and unpredictable, haha!
The seminar went well and it was really enjoyable! We get to experience Makati life even for a day. I hope that his activity will be repeated next semester or next year either under the auspices of K. Kenn again or by our other alumni. I hope mems that picking up from the seminar, we will enjoy and apply our learning! Hand in hand we will make our jade Pautakan, a very successful one! Best of luck and God bless to everyone!
~Jen, Lakatan 2006A, President

It was a very very good leadership trainig. Thank you dearest Alumni, Kong Kenn specially, kang Sir Freddie and staff ning PNB life! Sana maulit pa. Of the things na I've learned and realized, I hope I can get to show everyone. Sana maulit muli! Excited naku! Haha!
~Kebs, Langgotsi 2006B, Secretary

I really learned a lot from the LTS, not only did we share some insights and other views about leadership, but it also became an avenue for members, apps and alumni to gather and share experiences. It was a worthwhile day.
~Buduy, Lakatan 2006A, Educational Committee Chairperson

*As a leader, you have to understand that you are a part of the team. you don't stand out, nobody stands out. you have to make sure everybody blends. I think this is one of the many lessons that can be acquired during the LTS.The LTS made me realize as well as understand my strengths and weaknesses as a leader. It made me understand the actions and decisions I make as a leader especially that I am the eldest in the family. Now I know why I refuse to handle menial jobs and I take the work that requires analytical thinking. The LTS also taught me that there is something beyond being a leader and that is being a mentor. It was a very informative seminar and I'm lucky that I have attended it.
~Abi, Pinanari 2008A, Applicant

I especially liked the "because of me, my __ have become __" because it made me think of the effect I have on the people around me, thus making me more conscious of the fact that how I act could shape others, and vice versa. Overall, the seminar was very enriching and refreshing, and hopefully there will be a next seminar soon.
~Jill, Baskal 2007A

It was definitely worth the arduous MRT ride! The training was really nothing like the one's I have attended before. Not just that the trainor was one of the best but also the venue and the people in it were very warm and welcoming. What amazed me in the seminar was the analogy made through simple activities that brought about enlightening concepts. The ideas presented would certainly be of good help once put to application. Especially the fruit salad part. Freeze! Haha! I would not write in details of the things I've learned because there is just too much. But in general, the whole experience was fun and meaningful. Not only the seminar itself but the things that happend before, in between sessions and after.
~Mike, Lakatan 2006A

It was the best leadership training I’ve attended. Every activity had a lesson. But for me, the best was the fruit salad activity - andaming natutunan. Ang galing ni Sir Fredy. I hope we all become better mentors. Sana magamit natin lahat ng lessons.
~Lawi, Pinanari 2008A, Applicant

Lesson learned: It takes a lot of strength, good will and risk-taking to be an effective leader, and it takes so much more of everything to serve as a mentor.
Self-realization: The thing that struck me most is that I serve a purpose to everyone I interact with.
Fave Activity: The Fruit Salad Game, no doubt about that! Haha!
General Comments: Yummmy ing food! Haha. Sana more trainings to come!
~Jewel, Baskal 2007A

Over all it's a very interactive seminar. It's like a workshop for acting but in this case it is a training ground for a potential mentor. It's very enlightening and enriching to young people like me. It's the most enjoyable seminar I've attended in my life. Something that I've realized about myself is that I haven't really minded everthing that is going on around me. I had a hard time writing down my "because of me" reasons, I believe I really haven't thought of myself as a leader and someone who could affect the lives or lifestyle of other people around me. Moreover, I realized that being a leader is not yet the best we can be, for we can still become mentors. I hope there will be a sequel to this enjoybale seminar.
~Trish, Baskal 2007A

I learned that a leader should not stand out in a group. Instead s/he should know how to blend with the members. My favorite activity on the one hand is that exercise where we were divided into four groups, according to sibling ranking because we were able to know more of the traits and personalities of each one of us. About myself, I realized that I can't be just a follower forever. There will come a time wherein I will have to lead other people, so I should start practicing my leadership skills from now on.
~Carousel, Pinanari 2008A, Applicant

Dakal a salamat kareng Alumni! Sobrang dakal ku abalu anyang aldo na ita at balu ku na agamit ku ngan reta keng college at pati keng after-graduation life ku. Favorite part ku itang "Salad" kasi peka-sikat ya ing FROZEN "THE SALAD" mi! Dakal ku talaga abalu about being a leader and a follower. Tsaka first time kung mag-English keng arap da reng AguPips. Mebigla ku pin byasa kami palang English! Haha! Thanks again dear alumni!
~Loree, Kadaya 2005A

To lead is not to mentor, to mentor is to lead.
~Elai, Lakatan 2006A

*The mentoring part. Actually, ali na bayu kanaku ita. Manibat ibat balu ku na ita kasi disnan ku na eh. Evident naman keng culture ning Aguman, ali mu explicitly na masasabi na makanita pala. Come to think of it, you enter Aguman as a naive and gullible young adult. And as you go on through Aguman life, as you hang out with the older brothers and sisters in the org, you get to gradually imbibe the "wisdom of the ages", haha.
*The fruit salad making. Kasi laughtrip yamu nyang gagawan ya itang activity, pati ing pamang-"okray" kareng salad da reng aliwa, haha! Nanu-nanu kabolangan ing pengabit mi dina Jen. As it turns out, atin meaning deng bage-bage.
*That I am not your typical bunso. Yes, I have the usual behavioral tendencies of the youngest in the family. But given the circumstances in my family and how I was raised and my own brand of OCnesss, I ended up being an amalgam of an eldest, middle child and an only child personality. Sabage, up to certain degrees, adyang ninu din naman.
*The runny fruit salad (Dinan me ba naman evap kaybat ali me pa idrain ing excess liquids?). The never ending graduation march (Mepagal ku mag-tap table). The non-stop digs at my seniority and age (Registration pamu, apredict ku na, ating "Year & Course" na entry, haha. And I lied about mine, haha). The food (In fairness, kanyaman na nitang paksi fillet, to think na ali ku fish lover). The trip to and back from Makati (Haggardo talaga, first time ku matudtud before 10pm in years). The wacky and witty wisecracks (Ali tamu talaga kagigisanan ne? Hehe). Kong Kenn's skyline view of the city (It was really breathtaking especially since we got to view it at nighttime). The experience itself (Sana naman ing tutuking LTS, eku ne dasnan ne? Haha). And of course, the 25 other people I learned with in the affair (Naks, pasipsip). All of these, I will keep in my heart (Balamu Mama Mary ne? Haha).
PS. Komusta ne man itang mebuking na malbeng adult media (or who knows, he might have seen some live) via his comment that Piolo's nippies are like a girl's? Haha!
~Rex, Salagpi 2001A

*It is important to know your purpose in life to other people.
*The 'because of me' exercise because it really made me think and ask the question 'What did you do for the people close to you for them to be someone they are now'.
*I should improve my work ethics and it is important to have integrity and consistency with your relationship to other people.
~Carlo, Agyuan 2007B

*Best lesson: There's a whole lot more than being the 'leader'. It's when we are able to effectively share what we know that we truly 'lead'.
*Fave exercise: I loved the exercise about the pros and cons of being an only child. Somehow it made me realize what I have become and what kind of relationshops I have made with people as a result of being the only one. I also like the open discussion about mentoring. I think it made us explore what we can actually do for others as opposed to what they can do for us.
*It was a very fulfilling experience. One for the books for me.
~Yek, Kaputul 2004A

In mentorship, it's not what you've become that's important, it's what other have become because of you. My favorite exercise was that of the "sibling division" for I got to be with those whom I didn't think I'd have somthing in common. About myself, I was able to realize that I'm an apathetic person and that I have little contribution to my family, friends, neighbors, etc. All in all, it was very enlightening and helpful.
~Jona, Pinanari 2008A, Applicant

Through the seminar, I learned how to become an effective leader. During my high school years, I’ve experienced how to become a leader but during those 4 years of leadership, I think that I have not been that effective. Sometimes, I don’t know how to handle things. I don’t know how to control my classmates in order for us to accomplish what we are supposed to. We always end up cramming. That’s because I only randomly assign my classmates in doing a specific task. Or sometimes, we do the voting stuff. I ask them who wants this job, then they raise their hands and in the end, they end up with nothing because of their conflicting ideas. And with what I’ve learned from the seminar, I now know who and who’s not for a particular job.
My favourite exercise was when we were grouped into four and we were asked to list all the ingredients of fruit salad and how much each ingredient costs. We were even asked to give a name to our fruit salads and it was really fun! We were like laughing and laughing because the activity was really a pleasurable experience. It’s not simply enjoying but it also taught us many things at the same time. At the end of the day, I realize the real meaning of being a leader. It’s not simply a task but it’s something that you have to love. A leader should be that someone who’ll be known even if it’s not his term anymore. I mean he should be remembered for the great things he has done and at the same time, duplicate himself to his members and leave a mark to them. A mark which does not only symbolize his term as a leader but also he as himself and the great things he has done beyond with what people can see.
~Raxiel Serrano, Pinanari 2008A, Applicant

__________
Below are the 20 Mentor's POVs, as discussed during the last part of the LTS. With the permission of Sir Freddy, we are sharing them below for the benefit of those who were not able to attend. Feel free to reflect on them!
A Mentor's Point of View
1. Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off.
2. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped mentoring them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you do not care. Either case is a failure of mentoring.
3. Don't be buffaloed by experts and elites. Experts often possess more data than judgment. Elites can become so inbred that they produce hemophiliacs who bleed to death as soon as they are nicked by the real world.
4. Don't be afraid to challenge the pros, even in their own backyard.
5. Never neglect details. When everyone's mind is dulled or distracted the mentor must be doubly vigilant.
6. You don't know what you can get away with until you try.
7. Keep looking below surface appearances. Don't shrink from doing so (just) because you might not like what you find.
8. Organization doesn't really accomplish anything. Plans don't accomplish anything, either. Theories of management don't much matter. Endeavors succeed or fail because of the people involved. Only by attracting the best people will you accomplish great deeds.
9. Organization charts and fancy titles count for next to nothing.
10. Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position goes, your ego goes with it.
11. Fit no stereotypes. Don't chase the latest management fads. The situation dictates which approach best accomplishes the team's mission.
12. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
13. Look for a doer and not just a thinker. Look for those who are quick in judgement and not only intelligent, and most critically, look for those who have a capacity to anticipate, to see around corners. Also look for loyalty, integrity, a high energy drive, a balanced ego, and the drive to get things done.
14. Great mentors are almost always great simplifiers, who can cut through argument, debate and doubt, to offer a solution everybody can understand.
15. Use the formula P= 40 to 70, in which… P stands for the probability of success and the numbers indicate the percentage of information acquired.” Once the information is in the 40 to 70 range, go with your gut.
16. The commander in the field is always right and the rear echelon is wrong, unless proved otherwise.
17. Have fun in your command. Don't always run at a breakneck pace. Take leave when you've earned it: Spend time with your families.
Corollary: surround yourself with people who take their work seriously, but not themselves, those who work hard and play hard.
18. Command is lonely.
19. It’s okay to commit a blunder. It’s part of the job. But never be too arrogant to not admit to it. Otherwise expect much the same from your protégés.
20. Mentoring is the art of accomplishing more than the science of management says is possible.


For pictures on the said event, click here!

UP Aguman on Facebook

UP AGUMAN

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

EXECUTIVE COUNCIL 2009-2010

  • President:
  • KEVIN PENALBA
  • Internals Vice-President:
  • TRISH NACPIL
  • Externals Vice-President:
  • ARIES VIRAY
  • Secretary:
  • MICHAEL GULAPA
  • Treasurer:
  • BRYAN QUIZON
  • Educational Committee Chairperson:
  • RUTH HENSON
  • Socio-Cultural Committee Chairperson:
  • MINSKY GOCE
Powered By Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
Google PageRank Checker Tool

AguPIPS on Multiply